- 2 pounds of raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup of canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped green bell pepper
- 4 cups of chicken or shrimp stock
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
- Pinch of thyme
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley, reserve some for garnish
- 1/4 cup of sliced green onion, reserve some for garnish
- Hot cooked rice
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a stockpot or cast iron Dutch oven, stir in the flour and cook and stir until the color of peanut butter, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and pepper; cook and stir until softened.
- Slowly stir in the stock a little at a time, bring mixture up to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, thyme and shrimp; simmer until shrimp is cooked through.
- Stir in the parsley and green onion; taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with additional parsley and green onion if desired.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Click below for a pdf of: