- 1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 pounds large shrimp in the shell (16 to 20 shrimp per pound)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/2 cup minced red onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 1 1/2 cups minced celery (about 3 stalks)
Bring 5 quarts of water, salt and the lemon to a boil in a large saucepan. Add shrimp. Cook uncovered for only 3 minutes or until the shrimp are barely cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water. Let cool; then peel, and devein the shrimp.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and dill. Combine with the peeled shrimp. Add the red onion and celery and check the seasonings. Serve or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
** if you prefer – purchase shrimp that are already peeled and deveined. There is no difference in the cooking process.
Click below for a pdf of: