- 8 ounces saltine crackers, crushed
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 pint oysters, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 slices bread
- melted butter
- Butter bottom and sides of an 7x11x2-inch baking dish.
- Add layer of crackers and then a layer of oysters.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper and dot with butter.
- Make another layer of crackers and oysters.
- Mix 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream and pour over layers.
- Season and dot with butter.
- Add remaining layer of crackers.
- Mix 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream and pour over top.
- Melt remaining butter. Set 1 tablespoon aside.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup of milk with all but the 1 tablespoon of the melted butter and pour over top of casserole.
- Trim crusts from bread slices; tear into small pieces.
- Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon of melted butter then sprinkle over casserole.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes at 350°.
Click below for pdf: