- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 1-inch piece peeled ginger
- 1 habanero or jalapeño pepper, stemmed and seeded, or dried red chili flakes to taste
- 3 tablespoons peanut or olive oil, or neutral oil, like corn or canola Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime juice to taste
- 8 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- Start a charcoal fire or heat a gas grill or broiler; fire should be moderately hot and rack 4 inches or less from heat source.
- Combine cilantro in a blender or food processor with garlic, ginger, chili and oil. Turn on machine and purée, adding a bit of water — about 1/4 cup or less — to allow machine to do its work. If necessary, stop machine and scrape down sides. Remove purée to a bowl and add some salt and pepper, then thin with a tablespoon or two of lime juice; taste and adjust seasoning.
- Sprinkle crabs with salt and pepper and grill until firm, 3 to 4 minutes a side. Serve immediately, with a little cilantro salsa spooned over them.
Click below for a pdf of:
Grilled Soft Shell Crab w Cilantro Salsa