- 1.5 tablespoons kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1/2 pound linguine (I used spaghetti)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound clams, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoonred pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 1/2 (14-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes in juice, juice reserved and tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- In large pot over moderately high heat, combine 8 quarts of water to boil and salt.
- Bring to boil, then add linguine and cook to 1 minute short of al dente according to package directions (pasta should still be quite firm).
- Meanwhile, in large sauté pan over moderately high heat, heat 3 tablespoons extra- olive oil until hot but not smoking.
- Add garlic and sauté until just golden, about 30 seconds.
- Add clams and half the red pepper flakes and sauté 1 minute.
- Add grape juice, tomatoes and their juice, and 1/4 cup parsley and simmer, uncovered, just until clams open, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Drain linguine and add to pan.
- Simmer, tossing occasionally, until linguine is just tender, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, tossing to coat.
- Transfer to serving dish and serve immediately.
Click below for a pdf:
Mario Batali Linguine w Clams